To show how important we think good attendance is, we congratulate our children by presenting a termly certificate for 100% attendance. A half-termly class certificate and prize is awarded to the class with the best attendance.
You can help us by:
- Telephoning school before 9.30am to let us know the reason for your child's absence;
- Only taking your child out of school for the minimum amount of time for a medical appointment - please bring them back to school after the appointment together with proof of the medical appointment if possible;
- Only allowing your child to be absent from school due to exceptional circumstances. Please ensure you inform us.
Please refer to our 'Attendance Policy' below.
We believe good attendance and a prompt start to the day are very important in order to make sure that your child gets the education they deserve.
- Your child will be expected to enter school at 8.40am as legal registration takes place at 8.50am.
- Please note if your child arrives after 8.50am they will be marked as late in the register.
- If your child arrives after the legal registration has closed (i.e. after 9.15am) this will be recorded as an unauthorised absence.
Attendance Below 95%
This is the procedure we follow when your child's attendance falls below 95%:
Step 1: Parents/Carers made aware of attendance concerns.
- Attendance shows no sign of improvement and remains below 95%.
Step 2: Parents/Carers invited to a meeting at School with the Attendance and Behaviour Lead.
- Attendance continues to be a concern with no significant improvement.
Step 3: Parents/Carers requested to attend a School Attendance Meeting with the Academy Attendance Officer and the Attendance and Behaviour Lead to agree and sign an action plan.
Step 4: Attendance fails to significantly improve. Legal intervention considered.
Highlees Primary School strongly discourages any term time absences. Holidays should be taken during the school holiday period only and not in school time. Please see the 'Term Dates' page in the 'Parents' section of this website for a list of term dates.
If your child has to attend an appointment in school hours, eg, doctor, dentist or hospital, the school must be informed and a 'Leave of Absence' form must be completed and sent to the School Office.
If your child is absent you must notify the school office by 9.30am on the day of absence.